“Will you not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in You?”
Abraham Lincoln’s proclamation for the National Day of Prayer in 1863 serves as a great reminder to all of us (1) to be thankful for God’s many blessings in America, and (2) to pray for revival in America.
We have been the recipients of the choicest bounties of Heaven. We have been preserved, these many years, in peace and prosperity. We have grown in numbers, wealth and power, as no other nation has ever grown. But we have forgotten God. We have forgotten the gracious hand which preserved us in peace, and multiplied and enriched and strengthened us; and we have vainly imagined, in the deceitfulness of our hearts, that all these blessings were produced by some superior wisdom and virtue of our own. Intoxicated with unbroken success, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us!
It behooves us then, to humble ourselves before the offended Power, to confess our national sins, and to pray for clemency and forgiveness.
May we follow Lincoln’s example. May we first, be grateful for God’s many blessings…
– Thanks be to God for His grace and mercy
– Thanks be to God for His forgiveness of our many sins and offenses
– Thanks be to God for His faithfulness in spite of our unfaithfulness
– Thanks be to God for the prosperity and peace we have enjoyed in America
At the same time, may we turn back to God in humility and prayer, seeking His face, and repenting of our sin and unrighteousness…
– We confess our pride and self-sufficiency.
– We confess that we have forgotten and forsaken God.
– We confess our idolatry and immorality.
– We confess our indifference and complacency.
Finally, may the Holy Spirit bring revival in our county, our churches, and our communities? And may the Holy Spirit re-ignite a fresh fire in my own soul for Jesus Christ.
Dear Heavenly Father,
I am indeed grateful for Your many blessings!
In response to Your love, I renew my own commitment to You.
May You bring revival in our country and in our church.
Please revive my own heart and soul.
In Jesus name, Amen.