“Do not be afraid.
I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people.”
How would you respond if an angel appeared to you? Would you recognize an angel? Would you think you died and went to heaven? Would you think you were just dreaming? Would you be afraid? Would you think, “Oh no, what did I do?” Would you be excited? Would you think, “Wow, God must have something special to tell me?”
An angel is simply a messenger from God. During the original Christmas story – when Jesus was born – angels were pretty active. Gabriel appeared several times with special messages from God to various people. All were messages of joy…
- To Zechariah – You’re going to have a son. He will prepare the way for the Messiah.
- To Mary – You’re going to have a baby boy. He will be the Son of God.
- To Joseph – It’s okay. You can marry Mary. Her baby will be the Savior of mankind.
- To some shepherds in a field – A Savior has been born!
- The angelic choir sang – “Glory to God in the highest, and peace on earth!”
Our world today is filled with war, turmoil, persecution, despair, and hopelessness. But the message of Christmas is still good news. God sent His Son as a baby in a manger to save mankind from their sins and restore our relationship with God. Even amidst all the turmoil and despair in the world, you can still experience joy in your heart.
- Joy comes through forgiveness of sin.
- Joy comes through the gift of eternal life.
- Joy comes through being at peace with God.
- Joy comes through a personal relationship with Jesus.
- Joy comes through the baby born on that first Christmas Day.
Joy to the world, the Lord is come!
Thank you for giving us Your Son, Jesus.
Thank you for the gifts of forgiveness of sin and eternal life.
Thank you for filling my soul with the joy of the Lord.
In Jesus name, Amen.